Coach Ruthven has a lifetime of athletic participation, education, and coaching. According to Coach Ruthven, “Running promotes a healthy lifestyle, strong character, and future success for all levels and abilities.”
Head Coach One Austin Youth Triathlon Team from 2012 to 2017
- Coached year-round youth Triathletes. Beginner to High Performance Level athletes. Athletes competed regionally and at a national level. Achievements were developing beginner youth athletes and turning them into strong endurance sport athletes.
- Coached the 2016 National Champion Age Group Youth Triathlon Champion.
Assistant Coach Kelly Lane Middle School Girls Athletics, Pflugerville TX 2015-2017
- Track and Field 2016 and 2017 District Champions
Coach and Race Director for RunTex /
- Born to Run programs in Austin TX from 2006 to 2014
- Coached with and mentored for 8 years under one of the leading cross country and track coaches in Texas Paul Carrozza (2017 and 2018 State Champions St. Stephen’s High School, Austin TX).
- Produced and race directed running events for 100 to 3,500 participants including the Keep Austin Weird Festival, Longhorn Run 10k, Austin Marathon Expo, The National Running Event, and many more 1k to 5k events.
- Master’s Degree, 1999 Exercise Physiology and Exercise Science (Biomechanics)
- California State University Chico – Chico, CA Degree with Highest Honors
- Bachelor’s Degree, 1994 Aerospace Engineering
- The University of Texas at Austin – Austin, Texas
Married to Lara Ruthven for 26 years with 4 children, daughter Milla 15, Carter 13, Cadel 11, and Declan 7